Wednesday, July 09, 2008

FISA and Politics

There comes a point in life when you look at the years you've been banging your head into a wall and say 'that wall there, it's a wall, it's probably not going to be a doorway just because i keep running my head into it'. It just sort of defines batshit crazy...


Ok - maybe defines is strong... Still and honestly, I expect 'the machine' to control politics in this country - big and small. I expect corporations to run things through the use of lobbyist money and post-government employment. Why? The same reason communism fails - because people are dicks. Where this system fails is when the public interest at large lacks a voice... where the education system is intentionally deteriorated to the point of churning out people more interested in Bachelorette than Iraq's PM insisting on troop withdrawal timetables... where the news media becomes a venue for 'entertainment' stories rather than facts (from a book)... where the political system becomes so corrupt that real dire threats to the public at large are swept under the rug, ignored, pandered to, and left to later generations to sort.

I'm done with politics. I dont want to talk about it anymore. There's no point. I've put my head into that wall too many times - and it's not changing. No more Colbert and Stewart... no more Olbermann and TPM and DU and WaPo op eds... it's pointless and i'm tired.

Obama? Phil put it pretty well...

    Well if you told me you were drowning, I would not lend a hand
    I've seen your face before my friend, but I don't know if you know who I am
    Well I was there and I saw what you did, I saw it with my own two eyes
    So you can wipe off that grin, I know where you've been
    It's all been a pack of lies


So that's it. Go ahead and burn the planet to a cinder people. I'm buying a lawn chair and a four-pack of Guinness, a bucket of popcorn, and some opera glasses. No more money to political parties, no more standing in lines for 3 hours to caucus, no more weeks in Little Rock or 18 hour days in political organizations trying to change this country for the better - and no more voting for bond elections that increase teacher pay or rebuild infrastructure. I'm truly disaffected at this point. It can all go to hell for all I care.

No comments: